Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Internet Trolls... Are they really the ones stopping game progression?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Internet Trolls... Are they really the ones stopping game progression?

I would like to ask everyone if they think that the forum Internet trolls we have here at The Mafia Boss really help the game, or hurt the game.

The reason I bring this up, is because there seems to be many people upset with the current state of game play amongst the players. This is coming from most people from every single family and union in the game. There is a lack of game progression from players as a whole.

Putting all “rule change” discussions aside, does the constant forum posts from our internet Trolls really help in any way, or hurt the game progress?

Does their constant mercy cries blaming X, Y, and Z for a ruined The Mafia Boss game help in anyway? It seems that it hurts game progression, as newer players become quickly discouraged believing that these false effects stated by the internet Trolls are true. They probably do not know any better and then quickly leave the game, without making any real gaming progression.

Another way to look at it, is that people in general like to read reviews. And the forum is a player review of sorts. As a new customer/gamer coming into the game, by being bombarded with negative “reviews” about the game, these players probably leave right away.

I would like to ask people’s opinions, so please feel free to comment. Even if you do not normally comment on forum posts; make this your first one. Please comment, as maybe we can change the views of these Trolls and they will not feel the need to disrupt our game progression here at The Mafia Boss.

(Below I have listed the definition of Internet Troll taken from the internet for people not familiar with the term.)

Internet Troll:
    Is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal game play and on-topic discussion.

Online it originally meant the act of posting a message in a newsgroup (and later on a blog) that is obviously exaggerating something on a particular topic, hoping to trick a newbie into posting a follow-up article that points out the mistake.

In general, to "troll" means to allure, to fish, to entice, or to bait. Internet trolls are people who fish for other people's confidence and, once found, exploit it. Trolls vary in nature; here are four types of online trolls:

Playtime Trolls: an individual plays a simple, short game. Such trolls are relatively easy to spot because their attack or provocation is fairly blatant, and the persona is fairly two-dimensional.
    Tactical Trolls: This is where the troller takes the game more seriously, creates a credible persona to gain confidence of others, and provokes strife in a subtle and invidious way.
    Strategic Trolls: A very serious form of game, involving the production of an overall strategy that can take months or years to develop. It can also involve a number of people acting together in order to invade a list.
    Domination Trolls: This is where the trollers' strategy extends to the creation and running of apparently bona-fide mailing lists.

You have probably heard various opinions about how to deal with people who write insulting or provocative remarks on various Internet forums. The most common is "Don't Feed the Trolls", which says that all the people in the forum should avoid responding to the troll.

Historical perspective: The people who post nasty comments online are likely to have pathological personalities, said a 2014 study from the University of Manitoba. Known as “Internet trolls,” Web users who like to post inflammatory comments, incite arguments, and send insulting tweets are more likely to exhibit Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, and sadism. Collectively known as the “Dark Tetrad,” these personality traits were shown to be prevalent through surveys designed to understand what makes trolls tick. Participants were asked about their Internet behavior, including how frequently they posted comments and whether they preferred chatting, making friends, or trolling. Of the 418 people surveyed, 59 percent reported actively commenting, and among those just 5.6 percent admitted to trolling. The trolls gave responses that were strongly associated with the traits in the Dark Tetrad, especially sadism and psychopathy; they were more likely, for example, to agree with the statement “The more beautiful and pure a thing is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt.” Study author Erin Buckels told Slate.com that the Internet’s anonymity has freed pathological people to act out. “The allure of trolling may be too strong for sadists,” she says, “as they presumably have limited opportunities to express their sadistic interests in a socially desirable manner.”

Great post and good definition. Just need a picture to pull it all together.

Comment

Now we know what V really looks like thanks.

Comment

When TMB was easier to play- it still took me a few rounds to figure out what I was doing. Now that it's hard I think most players feel overwhelmed and would rather not play. I can say this because I worked with a training grounds family and found that most players lost interest quickly once you began explaining there was a larger point to the game then their initial expectations. They almost never log back in. Out of the dozens I spoke with- none of them used the forums within their first month or so of playing unless we asked them too.

It is easy for an experienced player to log in to TMB and say- hey here's the forums, here's the attack page, here's who's online, here's how to message people.. However- it just goes to show how long it's been since we've had enough recruits to speak of. I think a lot of you are forgetting just how hard it is to train people in the current rules.

Sure there are a few exceptions- but few and far between. Anyone operating on the average intelligence scale would feel pretty overwhelmed by this game for up to weeks before beginning to blossom in this game. Let's not forget we live in a modern society where kids don't like waiting 5 minutes for GTA: 5 to start up.

My conclusion is that if the game were easier- more people would stick to playing. If there weren't so many rules added over the years, and complex strategies adapted by skilled players it'd be even more so.

So the real culprit to me seems like it would be less the internet trolling- which will always be here. See GRD before it was a forum. Or are you a total noob? Or when you were a noob you obviously didn't check the GRD. The talking shit is all apart of the game. Stating my opinion of why I think it's foolish to spend money on an online game isn't against the rules. It just makes you and your friends feel uncomfortable to be around players that judge you.

Comment

i would say help sometimes the forums is what i enjoy the most. I agree their views become redundant and make me want to stab my eyes out but i would rather see that than the other way, which is more forum restriction.

Comment

restriction makes more people stop playing than negative comments on the forums. if you did survey on why people stop playing you won't find many that will say i stop playing because of the all negativity on the forums. Now you might find some or even lots saying they stop playing because they were restricted in some way.

banned, removed, new rules, etc.

Comment

OK Chance, I wasnt talking about if players leave cause they find the game play difficult vs negative forum posts. And I was not talking about whatever you posted about spending money on here. And Eli, I was not talking about putting restrictions on the forum, I never said anything like that...
              I like how you guys just totally spun around everything I said to fit your agendas. Maybe you guys should read the definition I posted again.

I am talking about the effect it has when players actually read about how x, y, and z ruined the game. Basically saying that the Trolls we have are really having the adverse effect of what they are trying to accomplish. Which is have a better game progression...

Comment

Use your fucking head you're being a troll now. Enough of trying to be the "funny dude" cause you are not, just another imbecile seeking attention

Comment

iTROLL YOU now

Comment

Well done Chance

Comment

Bobby, i don't think the trolling has much effect on those who read the forums. Like chance said when he worked with training grounds not many of the new players read the forums. So i don't think it has a negative effect on any of the new players.

in regards to your question i think the trolling helps the game. I think V is a complete idiot but it does give me something to laugh at when i check out any new posts. I think V has lost most respect from all of the game, IU and WC which he is trying to topple and all the fams he is trying to unite. I say let him troll!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                        OK Chance, I wasnt talking about if players leave cause they find the game play difficult vs negative forum posts. And I was not talking about whatever you posted about spending money on here.
                        I tried staying on topic with what you said- and remained civil in my post. About my spending quote- it was just me responding to chuckalonees next post.
                        I like how you guys just totally spun around everything I said to fit your agendas. Maybe you guys should read the definition I posted again.
                        When you ask some one for their opinion, don't be surprised by what they respond with.
                        I am talking about the effect it has when players actually read about how x, y, and z ruined the game. Basically saying that the Trolls we have are really having the adverse effect of what they are trying to accomplish. Which is have a better game progression...
                        Now this is actually pretty standard trolling. What you've done is acknowledge your answer to your own question is the only logical conclusion. So basically we should just all do what Bobby thinks from now on. That's a great way to improve game play.

Comment

We do it for the lulz

Comment

@t bobby no shit i didn't read that the whole book you posted. I did however read the bold face question you asked and took it to it's logical conclusion. Sorry if you didn't.

what do you want to do with the people you call trolls on the forums? Make them see the error in their ways.

Comment

hey bobby how easy is it to stay away from the game for the toughest years and then come back, pick a winning team and start bitching about other people being unhappy from your newly established moral highground?

bitch...

your whole essay was a form of trolling...
                              It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. - Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X